Happy St Patrick’s Day!
I am happily on my way to visit friends but I thought I would stop in with my favorite green foods in honor of such a festive holiday. It doesn’t always have to be about the Guinness and green beer…although those are good too 🙂
Spinach is high in Vitamin K, Vitamin A, manganese, folate, iron, magnesium, Vitamin C, Calcium, and Vitamin B2…just to name a few!
2. Okra. I love okra fries.
Okra is high in fiber, Vitamin A, C, and K, folate, and low in calories.
3. Wasabi – Lately I’ve been buying these tubes of wasabi from Walmart for like $2 and adding it to salads like I did here.
Good to clear out the sinuses 😉
They are high in monounsaturated fats, Vitamin K, folate, potassium and many other vitamins and minerals.
5. Cabbage – My favorite way is to simply cut it into pieces and then steam in the microwave in this nifty steamer I have.
Cabbage is very low in calories and high in Vitamin K, C, and fiber.
5. Broccoli! I buy frozen bags and go through these quickly..whether I throw it in a pasta dish, stir-fry, or simple steam some as a side dish.
Broccoli is high in fiber, Vitamin C, K, selenium, among others.
6. Brussels sprouts – I loovvvee roasted Brussels sprouts.
No wonder your mother made you eat them; high in Vitamin C, E, A, and iron.
Kale is a nutrition powerhouse with Vitamin A, C, K, B6, magnesium, and minerals like iron, copper, potassium, manganese, and phosphorous.
8. Green Apples – a great snack with peanut butter or cinnamon! An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
9. Zucchini – zucchini is such a good low calorie vegetable, high in Vitamin C. I usually steam mine but you can easily shred it and add to baked goods for a healthy addition.
Also low in calories, zucchini contains Vitamin A, K, C, manganese, potassium, folate, and magnesium.
10. Last but not least…Cucumbers! Perfect for a crunch in salads or as a dipper for hummus.
High in Vitamin A, C, folic acid, magnesium, and potassium.
Well there you go folks, a little nutrition lesson for the day…now go out there, eat some green, and celebrate!
I was surprised how many green foods I love. How about you? Whats your favorite?!