It’s March tomorrow…you know what that means…it is National Nutrition Month!
Each March the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly the American Dietetic Association) hosts a month-long nutrition information campaign. As a future dietitian, it’s my job to spread the word!
This year the theme is to “Get Your Plate in Shape” focusing on a healthy lifestyle. The recommendations:
- Make half your plate fruits and veggies.
- Make at least half your grains whole. …. I have to go further and say go all the way…all whole grains!
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat milk.
- Vary your protein sources.
- Cut back on sodium and empty calories from solid fats and added sugars.
- Enjoy your food but eat less.
- Be physically active your way.
For more information, contact a local Registered Dietitian or go to http://www.eatright.org.
My friend Sarah is hosting a month-long challenge on her blog, complete with nutrition education, tips, and recipes. Check it out…I’ll be following along with her too.
I think this is also a good time to check back into those New Year’s Resolutions if you made them. If you’re like me, by March, those goals are long gone as the year wears on and the novelty of ‘starting fresh’ has worn off. But don’t feel like January 1st is the only day you can make positive changes in your life! If you vowed to start a workout program, eat more vegetables, eat less meat…NOW is a great time to do that! Make March the new month of change 🙂
So how will you Get Your Plate in Shape this March?!
I’m going to finish the LiveFit workout program strong, continue to leave out as much added sugars and sugar substitutes as I can in my diet, and try new recipes!