I am almost done with my first week of classes…say what?! The great thing about not having classes on Friday is the school week seems to fly by and I only have one class on Thursday so it will be a jam-packed start to the week and taper off by Thursday. I’ll take it.
So what does a senior dietetics student take to get ready for their internship?
- Management in Dietetics – to prepare students for the business side of dietetics including human resources, financial resource management, ethics, quality improvement, yada, yada. Since I have a business degree, I figure it will be a lot of stuff I’ve learned before only geared to RDs!
- Community Nutrition – looks at the non-profit and community sides of nutrition like Women Infants and Children and other government programs.
- Clinical 2 – a core class that focuses on working with patients evaluating their nutrition status and prescribing ‘diets’ in a clinical setting like the hospital.
- Food Service Systems – Another businessy type course looking at food service (like in hospitals, schools, or restaurants), best practices in these settings, and kitchen design and stuff like that.
- Experimental Foods – a fun lab course where your in the kitchen learning more about the functions of food, how to change ingredients, and food research.
I also have credits for my thesis which I have to work on analyzing the data for and then finish the paper. Ouf. Most of my classes are pretty group focused and project heavy, which I do better with…No SCIENCES! Hoorah! Huge relief.
So that is what will be keeping me busy this semester!
Last night I got home from taking my “menu test’” for my watiressing job (hopefully I passed so I can start work soon..glad that is out of the way) and threw together a shrimp stir-fry for dinner.
Chili Lime Shrimp Stir-fry
You’ll need: frozen shrimp, peppers of choice (red, yellow, orange, etc), red onion, broccoli slaw, olive oil, garlic powder, chili powder, red pepper flakes, a lime, cilantro, and greek yogurt
- Prep veggies by slicing 1/2 mild pepper (I used about a 1/4 orange pepper and 1/4 red pepper) and 1/2 small red onion.
- Coat frying pan in non-stick spray or olive oil and add 4 ounces of frozen deveined, tail-off shrimp to medium high heat. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, chili powder, and garlic powder.
- Cook shrimp until they become pink and are cooked through, a couple minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Spray pan again and add 1 tsp olive oil, previously sliced red onion, pepper, and 1/2 cup broccoli slaw.
- Sprinkle veggies with chili powder, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder. Cook until veggies become soft and delicious. Add in shrimp to heat and squeeze 1/2 of fresh lime over.
- Serve over brown rice (pre-prepped earlier in the week) and top with cilantro and a dollop of greek yogurt.
I’m hitting up the gym today for shoulders/abs in the LiveFit trainer. Still loving the program but still doing a little cardio. I’m also still going strong on the Sugar Free Challenge. I also finally got on the bandwagon and am playing Words with Friends…I wish I had more time to play
Do you have a favorite app or game you are addicted to?