Do you believe in any New Year’s superstitions?
I’ll admit…I kinda do!
Like what you may ask?
How you spend your New Year’s Eve reflects how you will spend the rest of the year.
I don’t 100% believe this but I like the thought of being surrounded by good friends and good times to reflect the love and happiness coming in the year. Confession: last year I spend NYE at my parent’s house and was in bed by 9:30. To my credit, I had to be home because we were leaving at the crack of dawn to drive to visit my sister. Note to self: don’t do that again this year.
Eat black eyed peas on New Year’s Day for good luck!
I don’t think I did this last year…hmm…now I understand my rough year. Black eyed peas on grocery list asap.
I looked up some other superstitions and was cracking up:
- One should stock up before New Years or bare cupboards and empty wallets will stick around all year.
- Nothing should go out of the house on New Year’s day (garbage included)!
- First Footing or Lucky Bird rules: this one I loved! The first person to step into your house in the New Year’s has a lot of importance. He should be tall, dark, and handsome (no complaints there) and it is best if they bring a small gift like coal (no thank you), a coin (yes please), piece of bread, evergreen, and some salt (I have plenty thanks). Blond and red head people are bad luck (uh oh, don’t let me in!) and if the person is a female “aim a gun at them but don’t let them cross the threshold before a man.” WOAH unnecessary!
- Other food superstitions include eating lentils, but not eating chicken or other birds.
- Do something work related on NY Day to bring prosperity in the year.
- Make as much noise as possible at midnight to keep evil spirits away.
In order to help you keep evil spirits away, here is a playlist from my favorite songs in 2011 perfect for your parties tonight.
Weekend Playlist 2011 New Year’s Eve Addition
Domino – Jessi J
Florence and the Machine – Shake It Out
Flo Rida – Good Feeling
Beyoncé – Countdown
The Black Keys – Lonely Boys
Maroon 5 – Moves Like Jagger
Lady Gaga – Born this Way
Nicki Minaj – Super Bass
Drake – Headlines
Dev – In the Dark
Beyoncé featuring J Cole – Party
NYE two years ago…when I was not at home in bed at 9:30!
Do you have any superstitions for New Years?! Big plans for the night?
…either way, have fun and be safe!