I was home for lunch today and decided to make an extra special lunch. I love squash and have come to perfect my quick roasting microwave method. Microwaving the squash softens it, speeds cooking, and reduces the pain in having to cut a raw squash. You can cook a squash completely in the microwave but the roasting adds all the flavor if you have extra time. Read on…
Quick Microwave/Oven Roasted Squash
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using a squash of your choice (I used acorn), wash, and pierce with a sharp knife around the edges to let steam escape.
- Put on microwavable safe plate and microwave for 2 minutes on high. Rotate squash and cook another 2 minutes.
- Allow the squash to cool as needed (or just burn your fingers like me) and cut the squash in half. Use a grapefruit spoon to scoop out the seeds. If you don’t have a grapefruit spoon, buy one, or use a regular spoon and prepare to struggle.
- Cut the squash as desired (cubes or slices) and put on cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Coat or spray squash with olive oil and top with desired seasonings. Today I used cinnamon, nutmeg, and chili powder (highly recommend).
- Roast for 15 minutes, turn and continue to roast another 10.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool, and enjoy or add to recipes as needed!
Today I heated up some leftover quinoa, pinto beans, and made a side of sautéed collard greens (sautéed with garlic, olive oil, and red pepper). By the time I did this, the squash was roasted! I topped everything with a little hot sauce and some Parmesan cheese. Did I mention a bag of greens lasts forever?
After such a special lunch, its back to class and work! Have a good Wednesday!
Do you like squash? How do you prepare it?!