How is everyone’s weekend going? I have had a great one and made it back safely to VA with my family! I am back at school and gearing up for the last couple of weeks of classes before exams. The semester is flying and I can’t believe it is almost done…where does the time go?
I wanted to let you in on a little secret I’ve been using these past couple of weeks…I have been trying to incorporate more dark leafy greens into my diet.
They are a powerhouse of nutrients! They are high in Vitamin A, C, K, folate, calcium, and iron…to name a few.
They are also nutrient dense, so low in calories! Winner.
But, I’ll admit, I HATE prepping greens sometimes. Okay, its super easy to buy a bunch of kale, wash it, chop, etc. But if you are like me, I end up making a huge mess and get overwhelemed and therefore DON”T buy greens. Silly banana.
So, these past few weeks for recipes like my Kale and White Bean Pasta I have been buying the prewashed/chopped/cheater bags of greens instead. They are awesome! They definitely are not cost effective, but now I have been eating dark greens a few times a week and that is worth the extra cost to me. The greens are so easy to throw into pasta, soups, and stir-frys. Plus the bags provide a tons of greens and can easily make a few meals!
Tonight I threw together another pasta dish using collard greens and frozen shrimp. Collard greens have a milder flavor (for those of you new to greens) and are particularly high in Vitamin C, K, A and fiber. Kale has a bit more of a bitter earthy taste, while Swiss chard is also mild and more similar to spinach.
Garlic Shrimp and Greens Pasta
Serves: 1 (can be easily multiplied for more people)
Prep time: virtually non-existant, maybe 3 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 ounces of dried pasta of choice (I used angel hair wheat)
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into thin slices
- 2 t olive oil
- 1 T minced garlic
- 3 ounces frozen shrimp (I used uncooked, medium, deveined, with tails removed – if using cooked, just don’t add to the skillet as soon or they’ll get tough)
- 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup collard greens, chopped
- dash of nutmeg
- splash of hot sauce, optional
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- Bring pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium-high heat and saute onion in a bit of olive oil until it begins to soften.
- Add garlic and shrimp to pan and cook a few minutes. Add button mushrooms, collard greens, and about 1/4 cup water to steam greens.
- When pasta is finished cooking, drain and add to sauteed greens and shrimp. Add a dash of nutmeg and splash of hot sauce to flavor.
- Top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
What short cuts do you take in the kitchen? Cook with greens much?