I am visiting my sister, brother-in-law, and beautiful niece for the week! I love the holidays for so many reasons: time off from school/work, hanging out with family and friends, and of course, the food! However, with the holidays brings extra stress for many people and with the inability to have a schedule and extra food around, many people worry about packing on the pounds.
Here is how I stay in check over the holidays:
- Continue to work out – I brought my tennis shoes along this week and mapped out some runs so I could stick to my training schedule for the week. I know I might miss some of my extra workouts, but I don’t mind that for a week!
- Focus on keeping active with family and friends – Working out doesn’t have to be alone. Go for walks with your family, play football, do a race together. You get the idea. Incorporate activity even when you are celebrating. My family decided to save some money and not do a Turkey Trot this year, but instead, we are having our own!
- Remember the holiday really is only one day – This is important, Thanksgiving, for example, is only really ONE day (not 2 or 5 or a month!) Just because I am traveling for the week, does not mean its a free for all the whole week. Continue to eat balanced meals with lots of protein, whole grains, fruit, and extra vegetables!
- Enjoy what I love and leave the rest – You better believe I am going to be enjoying some mashed potatoes, gravy, and stuffing on Thanksgiving. The green bean casserole, I’ll be honest…not my favorite…I might pass on it to save room for what I really like.
- Keep your portions in check – if you do love all the food (I don’t blame you!)… just keep your portions in check.
So how do you stay healthy during the holidays? Any suggestions?