Like most, I am not the ‘perfect picture’ of health! I splurge, overindulge, go crazy, and sometimes just plain enjoy myself! This past weekend was my birthday and I took the time to forget about my typical healthy eating and drinking habits and just live it up. There was lots of candy, drinking, and eating involved….
With the holiday today you also might have had one too many cupcakes, beers, handfuls of chips, etc. It’s normal as humans and I also personally think its healthy to leave yourself space to splurge. But this can’t go on forever (my body would hate me). After the fun is done, you might be feeling guilty about it all…Soooo…now what do you do?
1. Do Not Freak Out – I repeat, do not freak out. In the grand scheme of your lifetime and health a few bad decisions are not a big deal. Whether it was one huge meal, one night out, a whole weekend of fun, or you have been off the bandwagon for a while, stressing about it will not help anything.
2. Do Not Procrastinate – Okay, along the same line of not beating yourself up about overindulging, you also need to realize that there is no time like the present to start making better decisions. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Not when you feel like it. No excuses.
3. Do Not Deprive Yourself – Just Eat Clean! Going on a ‘diet’ or not eating anything will not help the situation at all but rather be MORE harmful to your body. You won’t have energy, your metabolism will slow, and you won’t start feeling good about yourself (and isn’t that what it is all about). Rather, make good decisions about what you eat.
-Eat whole foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins
-Minimize/eliminate packaged and processed foods
-Cut out extra sugars, condiments, unhealthy fats, soda, and alcohol
-Drink a ton of water to start flushing out your system
4. Do Not Forget to Move! You don’t need to work out a bazillion hours or do tons of cardio to burn off those extra calories. Again, that’s just doing more harm than good. However, physical activity will get your metabolism going again and put you in a healthier state!
5. Overall, focus on the good, let go of the bad, and be happy you can get back to your healthy self!
So did you enjoy yourself this weekend!? How do you come back after falling off the bandwagon?!