This type of hodge-podge salad is one of my go-to recipes. You can use so many combinations of veggies, protein, and whole grains to create a delicious balanced meal. I threw this together for myself but double, triple, or quadruple for friends and family!
Fresh Roasted Taco Salad
2 cups mixed greens
1/2 cup canned chickpeas
1 medium summer squash, sliced
1/2 cup mushrooms, quartered
1/2 cup corn (either frozen cooked in microwave or cut off cob)
1/4 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
Toppings of choice: greek yogurt, salsa, guacamole, etc.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat sliced squash, chickpeas, and mushrooms in olive oil, garlic powder, chile powder, and cumin. You can use a variety of veggies with whatever you have on hand. I think peppers and onions would be particularly good.
2. Put veggies and beans on baking sheet and roast 25 minutes, tossing once throughout.
3. Meanwhile layer mixed greens, rice, cucumber, and corn.
4. Once veggies and beans are well roasted, let cool. Add to salad.
5. Top with your favorite additions: I used greek yogurt and a looot of salsa!
How do you mix up salads?