Breakfast is one of my favorite meals – pancakes, omelets, eggs, french toast..you name it…I love it! We all probably know that eating breakfast is one of the best ways to start your day. It kick starts your metabolism, sets the precedence for healthy eating, and is shown to help people trying to lose weight. It can also be the hardest meals for people – lack of time in the morning, lack of variety of breakfast options…there are a lot of frustrations.
Looking for something other than cereal to eat in the morning?
- waffles sandwiches…Kashi makes some great frozen waffles…toast up two and add your favorite toppings like peanut butter and banana or eggs and cheese.
- egg wrap…fill a whole wheat high fiber tortilla with an egg or two (with extra egg whites for more protein) and top with salsa, cheese, avocado, spinach, etc…
- yogurt parfait…top your favorite yogurt with cereal, fruit, and nuts
- yogurt mash to go (recipe below!) the perfect take-away breakfast
- two pieces of whole wheat toast with peanut butter or other nut butter, a hard-boiled egg, and a piece of fruit
- oatmeal topped with fruit, a blob of peanut butter, some banana, or even protein powder mixed in
- a ‘green’ smoothie made with yogurt, milk, banana, berries, spinach, and flax seed
It’s important to get some protein in the morning like eggs, egg whites, yogurt, nuts and nut butters, protein powder. This will give your breakfast staying power so you aren’t starved by the time you make it to work! It also keeps off hunger and helps you avoid overeating later in the day.
Don’t fear if you are a die-hard cereal fan – Cereal can be a good option too!
- Look for varieties low in sugar, high in fiber, and without high fructose corn syrup. Kashi makes some great varieties like Kashi GoLean, 7 Whole Grain Flakes, and Honey Toasted Oats. The new Fiber One Honey Squares is quite delicious, but even plain Cheerios is a good option!
- Don’t be afraid to mix a couple of varieties either…I usually add plain fiber cereal to my mix. I also might add some cinnamon for more flavor or fruit for nutrition…think outside of that cereal box!
- Give your cereal staying power by topping it with a combination of peanut butter, protein powder, mixed nuts, milled flax-seed, or chia seeds. You can also eat cereal over high protein Greek yogurt like a parfait!
Want my recipe for the perfect breakfast-to-go? Also known as “Overnight Oats” my yogurt mash is my go-to meal to take with me to class/work!
Blueberry Yogurt Mash
- 1 serving of yogurt of choice – I recommend plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup of dry rolled oats
- 1/2 cup blueberries (mine were usually frozen, but they defrost overnight!)
- 1 T chia seeds
- 2 T milk of choice (I use Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze)
- dash of cinnamon
- 2 T chopped nuts
- At night, combine yogurt, oats, blueberries, cinnamon, and milk in a Tupperware container (for convenience)
- Stir to combine and add more milk if needed! You can experiment with consistency but I like mine a little thick.
- Put in the fridge and leave overnight! It’s like it’s marinating 🙂
- In the morning, take out your yogurt mash and check consistency…add more milk if you want! At this point, I top mine with 2 T mixed nuts,… take it with me on the go,… and usually add a small banana before eating! YOGURT MASH.
YUM! It is the perfect combination of whole grains from the oatmeal, protein from the yogurt and nuts, healthy fats from the nuts and chia, and fiber from the oatmeal and chia seeds, and antioxidants from the blueberries. It is satisfying, delicious, and easy!
Other ideas for your yogurt mash include topping it with other fruits like strawberries, raspberries, cherries, mango, etc! You can also add milled flax-seed instead of chia seeds, add in protein powder, or even cocoa powder for a sweet treat!
Do you find breakfast challenging? Any ideas to offer?!