The cupboards and fridge are getting a little bare here but I am determined not to go to the store! Here is what I pulled together for dinner tonight…
Sautéed Squash with Chickpeas – Serves 3
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 medium sweet yellow onion or red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 medium summer squash, diced
- Splash of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- Splash of balsamic vinegar to taste
- Prep your veggies, chopping the onion, mincing the garlic, and slicing up the squash.
- Spray a large frying pan with non-stick spray and add a splash of extra virgin olive oil as desired. Saute the chopped onion over medium to medium high heat for a few minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the squash and minced garlic and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until squash begins to soften. I add a few tablespoons of water throughout the process to allow the squash to steam a bit more and not burn.
- When squash is softened, add the chickpeas, oregano, basil and heat for a few more minutes.
- Serve over brown rice, couscous, whole wheat pasta, or quinoa and top with feta. I add a few splashes of balsamic vinegar to my portion to kick up the flavor a bit. Enjoy!
Some ideas to customize:
– Add other veggies… mushrooms, red or yellow peppers, and eggplant would be especially good!
– Adjust seasonings to taste or use fresh herbs
– Top with parmesan instead of feta
– Leftovers make the perfect lunch, cold or warm, or in a wrap with hummus and spinach
What did you have for dinner? Any good ways you are using squash now?